Hitachi has rolled out the new line of hard drives aimed for the enterprise users. These hard drives are known as The Ultrastar 7K4000, which is a 3.5-inch HDD that focused on desktop / server setup instead of for mobile computer like laptop or netbook.
Hitachi UltraStar 7K4000 will be coming in three capacities: 2TB, 3TB and 4TB with 64MB memory cache, SATA 6.0 Gbps connection, 7200RPM rotary speed, and up to 2 Million hours of MTBF. According to the test, this Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 is capable of delivering maximum data transfer speed of 171MB/s.
Here is the detail specification of Ultrastar 7K4000:
- 4TB – HUS724040ALE640
- 3TB – HUS724030ALE640
- 2TB – HUS724020ALE640
- Interface – SATA 6Gb/s
- Form Factor – 3.5-inch
- Sector size – 512e
- Max. areal density (Gbits/sq. in) – 446
- Data buffer – 64MB
- Rotational speed (RPM) – 7200
- Sustained transfer rate (typical) – 171 MB/s
- Seek time (read, typical) – 8.0ms
- Error rate (non-recoverable, bits read) – 1 in 1015
- Load/unload cycles (at 40° C) – 600,000
- Targeted MTBF – 2 million hours
- Warranty – 5 years
- Acoustics Idle (Bels, typical) – 2.9
- Startup current (A, max) – 1.2 (+5V), 2.0 (+12V)
- Read/write (W) – 11.4
- Unload idle (W) – 5.7
- Weight (typical) – 690g
- Environmental (operating) ambient temperature – 5 to 60C
- Shock (half-sine wave 2 ms) – 70G
- Vibration, random (G RMS 5 to 500 Hz) – 0.67 (XYZ)
- Environmental (non-operating) Ambient temperature: -40 to 70C
- Shock (half-sine wave 1ms) – 300G
You can also download its DataSheet for more details [PDF].
According to the source, these hard drives have been shipped in limited quantities, but no idea how much they will cost.