I-O Data from Japan is preparing to roll out their new external Blu-ray XL writer codename BRD-UT14X. It comes with the latest and fastest USB 3.0 standard which capable of transferring data at the speed of 5Gbps to support the large data writing onto BD-XL media.
It also provides a 4MB cache memory for buffering, and the following is the detail of the writing speed on different media:
- 14x for single-layer BD-R
- 12x for double-layer BD-R
- 6x for triple and quadruple-layer BDXL-R
- 8x for single layer BD-RE
- 6x for double-layer BD-RE
- 12x for blu-ray discs
- 16x for DVDs
This I-O Data BRD-UT14X writer will available in Japan for 19,845 Yen in late April 2012. No idea if you can buy it on the US or not.